Get your 6-month No-Cost Opt-Out offer for Unlimited software automation!

Apple Dev Certs

Apple Dev Certs

Home Forums Ask Expert Apple Dev Certs

• This topic has 10 replies, 4 voices, and was last updated 1 year ago by Sasha ZAP.
Viewing 11 posts - 1 through 11 (of 11 total)
  • Author
    Arnab Mahapatra
    Participant

I am having trouble with generating a cert for my app with zap agent

when I try to install my ipa file on a apple ipad I get the following error in zap device manager:

“Cannot perform operation: Unable to generate signature from the provided certificates. Please make sure the certificates are valid and try again.”

I think the provisioning profile is good
      the p12 password is good

i think there is a problem with the cert

anything special I have to do to be able to use a cert to work with installing ipa file and zap agent?

Valentin ZAP
      Keymaster

Hello, Amahapatra!

You should have two things:

• Developer Certificate, which are exported into “.p12” format
        • Provision file which refers to your certificate and contains your device UDID

How to export your certificate to “.p12” format:

1. Open “Keychain Access”[/li on your MAC Computer]
          [li]Find your developer certificate and click (right-mouse button) on it
        2. Select menu item: “Export {CERT NAME}…”
        3. Select file format .p12 and save the certificate to the file. Please provide the password for your certificate.

How to generate provision:

1. Open Apple Developer website and go to Certificates page
        2. If you don’t add your device, please do it on devices tab. You should provide device UDID for that
        3. Create new debug provision or edit exiting. Here you should include your device and certificates to provision file.
        4. Wizard will generate new provision file which you can use with your exported certificate.

Hope that will help you. Common errors when the provision file is not corresponding with the certificate or the certificate is outdated. Please, let us know if you still have the problem with the certificate and provision files.

Thank you,
        ZAPTEST Team.

Arnab Mahapatra
        Participant

does the created cert have to have any information about the specific app (ipa)?

Valentin ZAP
          Keymaster

Hello, Amahapatra!

Basically – not. But if your application uses some specific groups from provision (all settings which we can set on Apple Developer Website: permissions, etc), you should use the same parameters in your certificates. Usually, generated certificate and provision files are usable for all applications.

Thank you,
            ZAPTEST Team

Arnab Mahapatra
            Participant

for the provisioning profile – to create it: do I give it the .p12 file or the .cer file that was used to create the .p12?

Valentin ZAP
              Keymaster

Hello, Amahapatra!

You should select the certs for your provision files when you create or update your provision (using Apple Developer WebSite): see the attached images.

1. Select the Provision Type
                1-2.png

2. Select the assigned certificates (you should check your certificate, which you exported to “.p12” format
                2-2.png

3. Select the devices
                3-2.png

Thank you,
                ZAPTEST Team

Arnab Mahapatra
                Participant

thanks for all the info

I managed to use xcode 8 to create dev cert and provisioning file

its working now in zaptest device manager, I can see iphone app GUI on PC

Marco Malziotti
                  Participant

Good evening Valentine
                    Dev team says “limits in adding UDIDs for iOS”.
                    In the iOS app installation process, can you point to a provision file that didn’t specify a UDID?

Thank you,
                    Marco Malziotti

Sasha ZAP

Hello Marco
                      The UDID requirement in iOS depends on what type of Apple developer license your company has.
                      If it is an Enterprise license, then UDID is not required for distribution. Application can be privately distributed for any device.
                      If it is not an Enterprise license, then Apple requires every UDID to be added to the mobileprovision file.
                      What iOS application you are trying to install? Is it your company’s application?
                      Please advise.
                      Thanks,
                      ZAPTEST Team

Marco Malziotti
                      Participant

Thank you Sasha
                        The app has an Enterprise certificate, so I can generate a provisioning file WITHOUT indicating a UDID right?

Marco Malziotti

Sasha ZAP

Hello Marco,
                          Regarding yor lat question this is the answer I’ve got from our R&D team:
                          “Yes, this should work. But please verify this information with iOS developers in your company or visit the official Apple Developer website.”
                          Hope this helps.
                          Thanks,
                          ZAPTEST Team

Viewing 11 posts - 1 through 11 (of 11 total)
                        • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.